Gauge your Satisfaction!
To begin: My neighbor is expecting a baby. It will, of course, be a newborn. (Duh.) My daughter is ten. She has a size 4 foot. Burgeoning on an adult size 5, at which the price of shoes goes WAY up. (Oy.)
So...I think it would be darling to knit up the Knitty Gritty Ugg booties for the newborn. Size?...Well, newborn, of course!
I get what has been mentioned to me as a suitable yarn substitute for the more expensive suede yarn, and I sally forth toward newborn uggdom.
Enter the HAGRID newborn bootie:

See how nicely that Velamints tin would fit a few times over into the "bootie"? You should see how sweetly the bootie fits my ten year old daughter's size 4 foot. Hm. I'm thinking that "perhaps" the yarns are NOT a gauge-worthy substitute for each other. (Gosh, ya THINK?)

Carrying on in true Damn-the-Torpedoes fashion, I find the "proper" suede yarn at the local fabric/yarn store, and get busy.
Notice the dwarfing of the same Velamints tin shown with Hagrid bootie above. It's fuzzy. It's newborn-foot-size. It's soon to have a mate, and be gifted to the neighbor at her shower. The rest of the Hagrid Bootie yarn? Well, I'll finish the other Hagrid Bootie, because my 10-year old is now smitten with them, and the rest of the yarn will be crafted into a nice, snuggly baby blanket.
The moral of the story is: don't believe everything you hear about "appropriate subsitutions"!!



3 Comments:
Those are the cutest booties ever! And, bonus, sweet pea gets some too! Oh, love those knitting foibles! Very nice job!
(and, when the 10-year-old moves into adult shoe sizes, not only are they more expensive, there is nothing appropriate in those sizes for a 10-year-old anymore!)
Oh my goodness they are soooo darn cute!!!!!!
I wonder why on earth someone mentioned it as a suitable substitute. hehe. Maybe they were confused or something.
I guess another moral could be to always do a guage swatch. (:
But, in the end, you made some cute cute boots. yay!
Post a Comment
<< Home